Music Recording & Production Programme (MRPP)
NBSS MUSIC RECORDING & PRODUCTION PROGRAMME (MRPP)
Beyond the formal curriculum, students with a keen interest in and who would like to learn the skills to write and produce electronic music may participate the Music Recording and Production Programme (MRPP). Open to all Secondary 3 students, the one-year programme commences in Term 3 of their Secondary 3 year and ends at the end of Term 2 in their Secondary 4 year. The programme consists of 2 modules essential for composition/arrangement and sequencing music on a digital audio workstation (DAW). The programme outline is given below.
- Basic music concepts & skills
- Basic DAW operations – MIDI
- Creating drum tracks
- Arranging chord progressions & voicings on the piano roll
- Understanding & applying effects
- Understanding harmony & chord progressions
- Basic DAW operations - audio
- Creating more complex drumbeats and basslines
- Mixing II
Students will be given a project to complete by the end of each module. Lessons are held once a week from 2.30 to 4.00 pm on Fridays.
Two MRPP students, Eunice Ilagan and Raymundo Seth Pascua from the class of 2018, won the Consolation Award and Commendation Award respectively at the Singapore Youth Festival Song-Writing Competition 2018.